Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Passion Rooted in Experience



In my last post I alluded to my passion for elevating the leadership and analytical skills of the labor force. My passion is rooted in experience.

I was late to the game. I spent my 20's chasing a fast buck. In my early thirties I came to realize that I was, for the most part, chasing a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. Once reality set in, I realized next that I needed to get grounded quickly. I needed to develop a solid income and solid marketable and transferable skills.

My quest began by getting the first job I could find. I lived by the adage to...
Call no work low that is honest. Honest toil never degrades.
The job I took was in the brine room of a plant that makes Swiss cheese. It was not enough to cover my expenses so I took assignments from a temporary agency, working in a process cheese plant when work was available and I could squeeze it in. Stability, although visible on the horizon, eluded me. Eventually, an opportunity on the production line of a fitness equipment manufacturer opened up and I was hired. The pay, supplemented by my temporary assignments, was enough to provide the beginnings of stability. I was now prepared for my next step and enrolled in the university located in the community.

At the time, among the best paying jobs in the community were permanent assignments at the cheese processing plant to which I was being temporarily assigned from time to time. Eventually, after nearly a year, I was able to get on permanently. I quit working at the fitness equipment manufacturer and also no longer had the need to accept temporary work assignments to supplement my income. Stability had been achieved.

As it turned out, working for the company owning the cheese processing plant was one of the best things that could have happened to me. As an operator, I was trained on root cause analysis, the basics of business, process variation, team dynamics and other forms of leadership and analytical thinking. We certified by taking a proficiency test, executing an approved project. I participated on a process improvement project that increased productivity by a significant amount.

This company realized the value of enabling shop floor resources (labor) through training. This company also realized the value of empowering their employees through the opportunity to validate the training they received and allowing them to execute projects using their new found skills. This company realized that this not only provided their employees with the satisfaction of being engaged and part of the business, but it also helped the bottom line.

I had an extraordinary experience as I participated in this culture as an operator. I found further value by integrating what I was doing on the shop floor with my education as an undergraduate majoring in production management.

It has now been over 20 years since those days. Over the years I've developed a deep sensitivity for the talent on the shop floor. It is from the shop floor that I come. I recognize that this is where the rubber meets the road. I realize that there is vast talent that if tapped into appropriately, can yield huge dividends to the company for which these resources are employed. The key is to enable, through training and empowerment, shop floor resources around the country.

I did it, by the wisdom of a company for which I worked. If I did it, I believe most others can do it as well.

My passion is rooted in experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are both welcome and invited. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this post. Thank you.